(That tastes more like a chocolate-berry dessert.)
After a week of vacation during which Cow’s Ice Cream made up a fifth food group in my daily diet (hey, it is voted Canada’s best ice cream!), I was happy to get back on track with a run this morning followed by this Power Smoothie fuel. And honestly, even though it wasn’t wrapped in a freshly baked waffle cone, or named something staring with ‘Moo’, it didn’t taste that far off from Cow’s Ice Cream.
The best part is that it’s loaded with super foods, but you wouldn’t even know.
Ingredients for 1 Smoothie:
– A handful of baby spinach
– 1 small frozen banana, broken into chunks
– 1/2 cup frozen berry blend (I used blueberries, blackberries and cherries)
– 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
– 1 tbsp chia seeds, pre-soaked in water*
– 2 tsp cocoa powder (when combined with the natural sweetness of the fruit, will give a rich, chocolatey flavour!)
– Coconut water, to cover all ingredients
1) Combine all ingredients in a blender/Magic Bullet/Nutribullet and blend until smooth.
2) Drink up!
*Soaking chia seeds in water causes them to become softer and gelatinous due to their rich supply of insoluble fibre. You can store soaked chia seeds in a Mason jar in the fridge, adding 4tbsp of water for every 1tbsp of chia seeds. Then, simply add 1tbsp of this seed mixture to your smoothies.